To paddle a Mirage double sea kayak from Port Welshpool to the north-east corner of Tasmania. To see the type of kayak
We head to Victoria on Spirit of Tas on the evening of 27th of December in my car. My dad, Tony is coming as well to bring the car back.
On the morning of 28 December we drive to Port Welshpool Caravan Park (near the Pier where we start).
On the morning of 29th of December - weather permitting - we will load the kayak to head out, mid-morning with an outgoing tide to head down the eastern side of Wilson's Prom toward Refuge Cove. If the wind is favourable we will get there that same day. If not, we will camp part way down the Prom and stay at Refuge Cove the next night - as that is the point that we will leave from to head on the 50km approx paddle out to Hogan Island - at dawn.
1. Port Welshpool to Refuge Cove - 48km approx
2. Refuge Cove to Hogan Island - 50-52km approx
3. Hogan Island to Erith Island - 42km approx
4. extra days at Erith/Dover/Deal Islands exploring the islands
5. Winter Cove, Deal Island to Killiecrankie - 60km approx
Once on Flinders, we will work out the course depending on the wind and weather and finish at Little Musselroe Bay by 15th of January - leaving enough time to allow for bad weather and exploring - 160km approx down the western side visiting some islands.
We will get our weather forecasts using my telstra next g phone (when I walk up the hills on the islands as well as using my satellite phone if I can't get a next g signal. I will also listen to abc radio victoria initially then abc tassie.
I will try and update this report during the trip using my phone but typing reports with a numeric keypad is a bit tiresome.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
from matthew watton.
Search This Blog
Matt's Trip Report Pages
- Tony's trips new link: http://tonywatton.net.au/
- Kayak around Maria Island - day trip
- Kayak Circumnavigation of Bruny Island
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk, 3 days, March 20...
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk Jan 2008
- Matthew Watton, Tasmania Circumnavigation attempt ...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #1...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #2...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #3...
- Steve Dineen's solo kayak circumnavigation Tasmania
- Federation Peak
- Farmhouse Creek Track - Judds Cavern
- Port Welshpool to Hogan Island & return
- Port Davey Track walk
- Huonville to Hobart kayak paddle
- John Brewster and Earle de Blonville - First ever ...