We left Allports Beach at 9.30am and after 2km we were on a corrugated gravel road with rotting road kill every 20m. These 2 factors are the only unpleasant things about riding on Flinders Island.
The road to Killiecrankie was gently undulating, inland from Marshall Bay - approaching the gaps between Mt Tanner & Mt Boyes.
From the turn off to Killiecrankie there was a 5km gentle downhill to the beach. Just before the beach there was a signpost to a campsite on the right. We headed down a driveway and we were confused when it went to a private house & a dog came running at us. It didn't look at all inviting as a camp so we continued to the beach & camped next to the picnic area which had a picnic shelter, gas bbq & a water tank.
The day had been another hot, dry ride so we were very relieved to get some cold drinks & an ice cream from the Killiecrankie cafe/shop (only open thru summer).
Later that afternoon a 'local' asked "Don't you like the campground?" - Well No we didn't like the campground. That was why we weren't staying there.
That afternoon 4 NSW kayakers arrived from Deal Island. It was great to catch up & hear the story of their trip.
11 March - Killiecrankie to Palana then North-East River
12 March - N/E River back to Killiecrankie with a day walk up Mt Killiecrankie
13 March - Killiecrankie to Allports Bch
14 March - Allports Bch to Whitemark
15 March - day walk to Hayes Hill near Whitemark
16 March - day walk down the beach south of Whitemark
17 March - Whitemark to Lady Barron
18 March - day walk to Pot Boil Point
19 March - catch the boat back to Bridport overnight
20 March - back to work!
Search This Blog
Matt's Trip Report Pages
- Tony's trips new link: http://tonywatton.net.au/
- Kayak around Maria Island - day trip
- Kayak Circumnavigation of Bruny Island
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk, 3 days, March 20...
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk Jan 2008
- Matthew Watton, Tasmania Circumnavigation attempt ...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #1...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #2...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #3...
- Steve Dineen's solo kayak circumnavigation Tasmania
- Federation Peak
- Farmhouse Creek Track - Judds Cavern
- Port Welshpool to Hogan Island & return
- Port Davey Track walk
- Huonville to Hobart kayak paddle
- John Brewster and Earle de Blonville - First ever ...