Search This Blog

07 February 2007

Day 0 - 7/2/07

Well, he's off - sort of.

Matt decided to leave from Cockle Creek instead of from Orford so it will leave more time for him to spend in the NW and perhaps to visit King Island.

He left Cockle Creek at 1.20 pm after a leisurely kayak pack and I drove his car back to Sandford almost immediately.

He experienced very strong SW winds on the way to Whale Head and after 12 kms could see very rough conditions ahead. He paddled on for another 3 kms before making the decision to turn back and stay at Cockle Creek tonight, rather than totally exhaust himself right at the start.

The call came through at about 6 pm that he would try again tomorrow, hoping for kinder conditions in the morning. However, Thursday's forecast is "W to SW winds 10 to 20 knots, easing to 5 to 15 knots then tending SE later. Seas 1 to 2 m. W to SW swell 2 to 3 m." He may delay his departure until later in the day.

Put today down to a good, hard training paddle!